Re: Steel Moment Connections

I asked a similar question "in reverse" several weeks ago.  I asked why AISC
permits bearing type bolts in combination with welds in such connections,
since slippage of the web connection bolts would cause additional stress in
the flange welds.  The response I got was that AISC assumes that the bolts
will be in bearing due to dead load during erection and the examples shown
are
intended for non-high seismic conditions.  Personally, I feel that
slip-critical bolts should be used in such connections to prevent
overloading
the welds.

It should be noted that the LRFD commentary suggests torquing the bolts
before
performing welding when using slip-critical bolts in combination with welds
(see commentary for Section J1.7).