RE: Steel Moment Connections

Bill,

You have raised an interesting point.  Following the Hyatt walkway collapse, I inspected several shopping centers in Kansas City that had been in service for several years .  On one, I found a connection supporting an escalator (vibration, high load, etc.) that had 14 - A307 3/4" bolts snug tight in unpainted steel.  The connection was designed for and required A325 SC bolts.

The interesting part came when the bolts were replaced.  Only one of the bolts had slipped into bearing.  Thirteen of the 14 bolts were removed by hand without the aid of a hammer.

The point:
Bill's caution is justified.  Don't count on the bolts slipping with dead load only.

Regards,
Harold Sprague, PE
Krawinkler, Luth & Assoc.