Re: Steel Moment Connections

The whole issue regarding whether slip-critical bolts are required or a
bearing connection will suffice (in the application at hand and many
more) is covered quite well in The Guide to Design Criteria for Bolted
and Riveted Joints, 2nd Edition by Kulak, Fisher and Struik. As this book
is the fundamental basis for the provisions in the Specification for
Structural Joints Using ASTM A325 or A490 Bolts, published by the
Research Council on Structural Connections, I think it is the best
resource for informed decision-making on all issues in bolting.

Charlie

Harold Sprague wrote:

> Bill,
>
> You have raised an interesting point.  Following the Hyatt walkway
collapse, I inspected several shopping centers in Kansas City that had
been in service for s

> The interesting part came when the bolts were replaced.  Only one of the
bolts had slipped into bearing.  Thirteen of the 14 bolts were
removed by hand without

> The point:
> Bill's caution is justified.  Don't count on the bolts slipping with dead
load only.

> Regards,
> Harold Sprague, PE
> Krawinkler, Luth & Assoc.

              ~      ~           ~ ___
                       [_________]-|__)
              __________OO______O__O_O___________________________
                  |==========================================|
                   \               Majid Sarraf             /
                    \             Ph.D Candidate           /
                     \   Department of Civil Engineering  /
                      |        University of Ottawa      |
                      |           Ottawa, Ontario        |
                      |            Canada K1N 6N5        |