Re: Steel Moment Connections

Dear Charlie;

There is a lot of issues regarding performance of moment connections in
seismically active regions. The book you refer to is an excellent book for
gravity frame design. I wish we had something more up-to-date on seimic
design of moment connections.

Majid Sarraf

At 01:17 AM 7/1/1998 -0700, you wrote:
>The whole issue regarding whether slip-critical bolts are required or a
>bearing connection will suffice (in the application at hand and many
>more) is covered quite well in The Guide to Design Criteria for Bolted
>and Riveted Joints, 2nd Edition by Kulak, Fisher and Struik. As this book
>is the fundamental basis for the provisions in the Specification for
>Structural Joints Using ASTM A325 or A490 Bolts, published by the
>Research Council on Structural Connections, I think it is the best
>resource for informed decision-making on all issues in bolting.
>
>Charlie
>
>Harold Sprague wrote:
>>
>> Bill,
>>
>> You have raised an interesting point.  Following the Hyatt walkway
collapse, I inspected several shopping centers in Kansas City that had
>been in service for s
>>
>> The interesting part came when the bolts were replaced.  Only one of the
bolts had slipped into bearing.  Thirteen of the 14 bolts were
>removed by hand without
>>
>> The point:
>> Bill's caution is justified.  Don't count on the bolts slipping with dead
load only.

>> Regards,
>> Harold Sprague, PE
>> Krawinkler, Luth & Assoc.

              ~      ~           ~ ___
                       [_________]-|__)
              __________OO______O__O_O___________________________
                  |==========================================|
                   \               Majid Sarraf             /
                    \             Ph.D Candidate           /
                     \   Department of Civil Engineering  /
                      |        University of Ottawa      |
                      |           Ottawa, Ontario        |
                      |            Canada K1N 6N5        |