Seismology Commitee Notes on SEAOC Web

My congradulation go out to the Seismology committee for SEAOSC. I just
reviewed their minutes from their last meeting which was posted to the web
on June 4, 1998. The notes were extrememly concise and informative. Of
special interest to me was the discussion on the 1997 UBC treatment for
Embedded poles (Pendulums). I was very pleased to learn that the Seismology
committee is addressing this problem. I am even more pleased that they have
taken the time to post more than a rough outline of the meeting. This is an
excellent way for the members of the list to participate by email to the
Seismology committee to discuss our opinions.
Also on my Thumbs Up list is:
Inspection Practice - (although minutes are not posted, Sandy's recent work
warrants it)

A thumbs down goes to the Existing Building Committee of SEAOSC who still
has not published their minutes. Also on my Thumbs Down list is the
following committees who have no presences or none for more than eight
months:
Vision 2000
Audit Committee
Building Code
Business Forum
Computer Applications Committee (although the Web and List are a Thumbs Up)
Disaster Emergency Services
Education
Employment
House
Legislative
Membership
Office Practice
Professional Practices
Program
Research
Seismic Advisory
Seminar
Speakers Bureau
Testing Procedures
Young Members

We have a long way to go. Possibly, those members of this list can visit
each of the committees from time to time and remind the chairs of those
committees that we are still waiting their work. This may show them that we
are interested and concerned as to the direction that their committees are
taking and whether there are any issues we as Listservice members would care
to discuss and offer opinion.

The Seismology members are:
Saif M. Hussain - Chair
Rami M. Elhassan - (Seismic Isolation)
Saiful Islam (Structural Response, Vice Chair)
Martin Johnson (Energy Dissipation Systems)
Marshall Lew (Ground Motion / Site Conditions)
Peter Maranian (Steel)
Brad Mielke (Masonry)
Bill Nelson (Wood)
Mehran Pourzanjani (Concrete)
John Whisenand (Nonbuilding/Nonstructural)

Each of these members deserve our combined Listservice appreciation for
making us a part of their decision making processes. Congradulations on your
fine work and thank you for your efforts.

Sincerely,
Dennis S. Wish PE