Re: L.A. City, Division 91

Hello fellow engineers:

Division 91 requires "continuity ties" across the buidling (from "wall to
wall") in both directions.
Here is my disagreement (or shall I say comments ?):

I am working on a series of tilt-up buildings (upgrade) which have concrete
walls on three sides , one side, in the transverse direction, is a steel
frame. The plan checker and his supervisor (so he says) request "continuity
ties" from the one wall to the steel frame. Does not make sense to me.

Here is a general disagreement I have with the code:
If a building is for example three times longer than wide, continuity ties in
the longitudinal direction across the the full length does not make any sense
to me. Even providing "continuity ties" from the short walls for a length
equal to the width of the building (just a suggestion) would sound like a
conservative approach.

Any thoughts and/or comments?

Antonio S. "Tony" Luisoni
Consulting SE