Autocad and MS Word Problem

For our general notes we have a MS Word file with everything that we
typically run into.  Things that don't apply to a particular problem are
deleted and the remainder is cut and pasted into Autocad's mtext.  I
recently got a new computer and this method hasn't worked quite right since.
We use MS Word in lieu of a text file so that Word will re-number what we
delete.

Here's how the text appears in MS Word and how it used to appear in acad.

Reinforced Concrete
1.   text
2.   text
3.   text
4.   text

Masonry
1.   text
2.   text
3.   text
4.   text

Here is how it looks once it is cut and pasted into acad.  Note that
everything is numbered correctly is Word.

Reinforced Concrete
1.
2.
3.
4.

Masonry
5.
6.
7.
8.

Notice that once the text is inserted into autocad the numbering is changed.
Having to go back and renumber about 50 lines is kind of a pain.

Does anyone have any advice.

Thanks,

John Jones, EIT
Pell City, AL