Re: House and detached garages on 24" slab

EDLStruct(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> Has any one done this kind of foundation?
> I have a project of 3 1/2story large house with a dettached 6 car garage and a
> detached 2 car garage in a flat medium size lot near downtown .   The house
> foot print is about 3800 sq. ft..  It also has 10 foot high retaining walls
> for a (just like a flower bed) medium size tree bed along the side of a
> garage.  Since the house is as wide as a lot, the drive way is under the 2nd
> story at one edge of the house.  The drive way after go through the house turn
> to the right to go to 2 car garage, or if go straight to go to 6 car garage.
> Everything including the driveway, the house , the garages and the retaining
> walls are on 24" slab on grade due to a poor soil( by soil engineer
> recommendation).
>
> If you have done this kind of foundation, what is your recommendation for the
> slab design?  Any publications or books would you recommend for me to look
> into?
>
> Another thing,the architect wants me to challenge the soil engineer to require
> the slab to be thinner.  I am not a soil engineer and I don,t know about soil.
> Does anyone have any comment about this?
>
> Thanks in advance for your input.
> Ed Latthitham S.E.
> Oxnard, CA

The only reason I can see for using a 24" slab would be to provide
enough rigidity in the founation to spread the load uniformly under the
house, i.e. a mat foundation.  You may ask the geotech to provide you
with his theory or reasoning in making this suggestion.  Ask him if a
stiffened rib foundation would be acceptable - a 4" or 5" slab with
integral grade beams.  It could be either conventional or
post-tensioned.  Also ask him if drilled piers or driven piles would be
an acceptable alternative.

Brian K. Smith, P.E.
Bossier City, Louisiana