RE: Hi-Elastic Steel

Thanks.  That explains the change to the allowable of 24 ksi between
several different drawings I found.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ed Marshall [mailto:elmarshall(--nospam--at)HASimons.com]
Sent: Friday, July 10, 1998 11:21 AM
To: 'seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org'
Subject: RE: Hi-Elastic Steel

Terry,

I don't seem to have anything on "HI-ELASTIC LIMIT" grade steel but If
you're looking at a structure designed during W.W.II you may see an
allowable tension stress of 24 ksi rather than the usual 20 ksi for A7
steel.   In 1942 the allowable tension stress of A7 steel was
temporarily increased to conserve steel.  If I think of a source of info
on "HI-ELASTIC LIMIT" grade steel, I'll send a follow-up.

Ed Marshall, PE
Simons Engineering
Atlanta