Re: 10d nails for plywood sheathing

I'd generally agree with Nels on this issue.  Reducing the nail spacing
(especially down to 2"oc) is not a great idea.  We  have tested a lot of
3/8 and 1/2 ply (STR I & CDX) with all kinds of 8d nails (box[.113],
common[.131], gun-driven, hand-driven) at spacing of 3" oc with no
problems wrt stud splitting in STD & BTR 2x4's.  General summary of
these tests were publised in SEAOC 1997 Proccedings  & EERI Conference
June 98.

We are currently starting a COLS/FEMA project to study more shearwall
behavior (60 panels).

Note: The results for 8d nails should NOT be applied to 10d nails.

sincerely
 Robert Kazanjy, PE  **Disclaimer: I speak for myself not UC-Irvine**
 Senior Development Engineer
 Civil & Environmental Engineering
 UC Irvine
 E4130 EG,  Zot: 2175