Re: Field Act-School Inspectors!

In a message dated 98-07-10 15:15:36 EDT, Rick Ranous wrote:

><< Thanks Fred, this is valuable information.  By outward appearences, the
>integrity of the Field Act is not yet safe.  Maybe, there needs to be more
work done with  DSA to help them update (not water down) their standards.
Presonally, I believe that DSA has done a good job in developing standards
for public schools.  I believe that they should remain responsible for this
occupancy.
.......<SNIP>.....
Rick Ranous

At 12:23 AM 7/13/98 EDT, Michael Cochran wrote:
>I would agree with Rick about what DSA has accomplished and that one
statewide
>agency should be responsible.  I would be concerned about turning the plan
>check services and inforcement over to the local government agencies.
>There are too many politics which go on at the local level.  You are turning
...<snip>.....
there is always a strong urgency to cut costs and
>have acceptance of construction which might otherwise not be accepted.
....<snip>.....

NOTE THIS PARAGRAPH!!!!!!
>Probably the most important facit of DSA projects is the fact that there is a
>DSA inspector present during all construction.  I imagine this is one area
>that would be cut back, after some political pressure, in order to reduce
>costs.  Without this continuous inspection, there will be substantially more
>poor workmanship.

....<snip>.....
>Michael Cochran S.E.

California Schools
        There is a trend that has developed that is quite frightening with
the DSA inspection Michael refers to.  He is clearly relying heavily on the
experience of a qualified, certified DSA Inspector of Record, as he should
be able to. The requirements to become a DSA Inspector of Record have
traditionally been fairly exacting, but now DSA has developed a new and
quite stringent examination for Inspectors of Record and it will be in
place Jan 1, 2000, requiring all DSA IoR's to pass this exam.
        However, at this time in California, it seems to be common that a
DSA Registerd Inspector of Record will handle more than one sometimes quite
a few different schools by placing  what they are calling a "Deputy"
Inspector of Record in charge with the real IoR giving some sort of
undocumented and unspecified supervision.  The tricky part of this is that
there is no such provision for a "Deputy" IoR.  This is a pure fabrication
term and appears nowhere in DSA Regulations.
        The "Deputy" IoR apparantly performs all the functions of the real
IoR, but hasn't the certifications and, most often, the qualifications.
This allows the real IoR to bill for his own time at his own rates which
are significantly higher than he's paying the "Deputy" (usually without
taxes or FICA or other contributions, by the way) OR to bill for his time
AND the alleged "Deputy".  The school district and the design professional
get less, but the entrepenouristic IoR seems to be making out real well.
        The budget issues Michael refers to have impact of the DSA
enforcement abilities, but you, the design professionals who are relying on
the qualifications and certifications of the IoR may be getting a lot less
than you believe.  I suggest you'all take this as a heads-up and perhaps
require, in writing, that an IoR who is registered with DSA is actually the
individual inspecting your jobs.
        Perhaps you  might consider the specification of an approved
Inspection Agency meeting the qualifications of an Inspection Agency, not
just a Test Lab.
        I know I'll be at the center of yet another storm, but I have to
call them as they are.

R. Sandy Pringle       STRUCTURAL INSPECTION CONSULTANTS Inc.
sandyp(--nospam--at)sic-inc.com 	 (800)598-1970    Fax(310)376-5294
http://www.sic-inc.com	 Hermosa Beach & Redondo Beach, CA

Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs
from your own.  You may both be wrong.  -  Dandemis