From: Dennis Wish [mailto:wish(--nospam--at)cwia.com]
Sent: Sunday, July 12, 1998 7:46 PM
To: SEAOC Listservice
Subject: RE: 3/8" Plywood shear values on metal studs.

I think that the problem here is not the failure of the panel, but that the
failure mode in cold-formed steel stud construction tends to be buckeling of
the studs. In each of the tests done on 7/16" OSB and 15/32" Plywood, the
maximum shear allowed was based upon the limit where the studs buckeled and
not where the panel failed.
It is my understanding that the second most common point of failure occured
when 16 and 18 gauge studs were used. Although the main mode of failure was
again the buckeling of the studs, the secondary problem was the shearing of
the screws due to the stiffness of the steel. The '97 code reduced the
thickness of the studs to 20 gauge in order the create more ductility in the
connection.
If anyone has more up to date information, please share it. I am working
from memory and may have a few facts turned around - however, I don't think
so.

Dennis