Metal Decks and powder actuated fasteners.

To whom it may concern,

I would like to see if there is a body of opinion out there concerning the
replacement of welds with powder acuated fasteners in horizontal metal deck
diaphragms.  I have seen values published in ICBO reports for diaphragm
strength values, but I have not seen any stiffness values.  My specific
concern is for stiffness degradation under cyclic loads.  Welds resist
shears by a combination of tension, bearing and shears due to the
circumferential attachment and the pins only bear against the leading edge
of the deck.  Would this cause hole elongation and softening of the
diaphragm stiffness.  If anyone has experience with this topic, I would
appreciate your input.

Curt La Count
Jacobs Engineering
Portland, OR