Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Future of CA's Field Act - Seismic Safety for Public Schools

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
In a message dated 98-07-13 00:24:35 EDT, you write:

<< Currently DSA requires a S.E. to perform the structural plan check. I
believe local building officals will fight this requirement, since some
building departments do not have S.E.'s on staff. >> 

<<How can a Building Official or Plan Check Engineer who is not at least a PE
know if the requirements are being met? Even if these local jurisdictions use
outside structural engineers to do the structural plan check, what about
consistency throughout the state. I submit, that this would turn out to be
impossible, with(out?) direct supervision by the state.>>

As Tim pointed out, Local Building Officials must use a licensed S.E. to
perform the plancheck of private schools. If they don't have one on staff they
must contract with one. These regulations are found in Cal Education Code,
17320 et. al. and apply to schools 2000 sq. ft. and larger. From the code:

"17333.  A jurisdiction whose enforcement agency does not meet the
qualifications specified in Sections 17331 and 17332 shall obtain
necessary qualified personnel to meet the requirements of this
article by contracting with other public agencies, private sector
firms, or individuals qualified to perform the necessary services."

Perhaps the straw poll could also indicate how often these regulations are
complied with?


Tom VanDorpe, P.E., C.B.O.
VCA Structural Engineers
Orange, CA