RE: Welded Steel Tanks - Seismic Design

It depends on which version of API 650 that you have.  They were supposed to incorporate the hydrodynamic methodology of AWWA D100.  I am not sure if that has been accomplished, or if you have that version.

The hydrodynamic forces calculated by D100 are different than those in the NAVFAC P-355.  In some cases P-355 was found to be conservative and in some cases it was not.  In any case the appropriate methodology for a water storage tank is the AWWA D100.

The manner in which liquid dynamic forces is calculated varies from entity to entity (API, AWWA, NAVFAC, FERC, ACI350, etc.).  In the technical subcommittee that I am privileged to chair, we endeavored to investigate various methodologies including those contained in foreign building codes and proprietary company standards.  We focused on the methodology that was viewed as the most accurate and efficient.  That methodology was contained in D100.  Most of the various entities are changing and converging on the methods contained in D100.

You may wish to contact Nicholas Legatos at Preload Inc. in Garden City, New York who serves on my committee and is much more knowledgeable than me on this topic.

Harold Sprague, PE
Chairman Technical Subcommittee 13 - Nonbuilding Structures
Krawinkler, Luth & Assoc.
4412 W. Eisenhower
Loveland, CO 80537
970-667-2426 voice