Re: Philosophical Discussion

(Re: the Tsunami issue)

I only saw Shafat's message on the tidal wave of joke protests.
_________
Even if an economic study should show it was more economical to relocate
everything now, there are at least two problems with the motivation to take
this action:

One is the unpersuasive nature of the threat. A maximum credible event is
not a commonplace, imminent thing, and even if it were as credible as the
name suggests, the 30m tsunami is merely a "potential" result of it.

The next problem is that people don't like to be uprooted on the strength of
predictions made by experts who come to help. They would rather take their
chances of suffering an act of (you know who, can't mention Him here) than
suffer orders from a human in authority.

Even where no expert predictions are necessary, as at Hilo, Hawaii, where
tsunamis have sloshed half the town away twice in the last 53 years, people
return and rebuild the old site.

This is an interesting public policy issue, but not an engineering one. Kind
of like smoking in public places not being a problem for doctors to decide.
________
PS   Now I find Shafat's message, but in the Trash bin. I had deleted it
unread because the subject entry USGS,etc., stimulated no interest.

Charles O. Greenlaw