Re: Philosophical Discussion/Tsunami

raranous(--nospam--at)pacbell.net (Governor's Office of Emergency Services) wrote:

> It seems to me that there is not an economical method to deal with
> structural damage.  However, maybe land use policies need to be
> addressed.  This works for the US and probably for Canada (hope the
> Canadian members respond to this) but would it work in other countries
> such as Japan?  Wholesale relocation of businesses and residences is an
> expensive proposition.  But is it more economical to relocate now, or
> wait until the event occurs and have to do it when people have lost
> everything?

This is similar question asked after the recent string of damaging
floods that have occured in the Midwest.  Should the nation support
expensive relief and rebuilding expenses in areas that are suseptible to
flooding, coastal inundation or tsunami.  Land use policies have
restricted rebuilding of damaged property in some coastal areas making
many coastal landowners unhappy.

How far do you take it though.  When you look at the economic loss from
recent earthquakes should land use policies restrict development in
seismic Zone 4 areas as well? Insurance companies have noted that losses
from natural disasters have increased so much in part because there has
been so much development in "disaster prone" states like California and
Florida.