RE: Wind Speeds for design wind pressures

You have 2 different problems.

I do not know why you would convert a 3 second gust to a 60 minute wind, but the commentary of the ASCE 7-95 contains the Durst curve and the Krayer-Marshall curve for a direct conversion.  I have done conversions to and from 60 second winds (Saffir-Simpson hurricane winds) and 10 minute winds (WMO standard extreme winds), but never to a 60 minute wind.

The conversion from 3 second to a fastest mile wind is an iterative solution, and can also be done using the ASCE 7 commentary, but it is a bit tricky.  The Structural Engineering Institute's newsletter contained an example by Jim Rossberg of this iterative procedure.

I would be a bit wary of the API standard.  Rely more on the ASCE 7 for wind load development.

Harold Sprague, PE
Krawinkler, Luth & Assoc.