From: Harold Sprague <hsprague(--nospam--at)aspen.klaalov.com>
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org' <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date: 20 July, 1998 11:01 AM
Subject: RE: Wind Speeds for design wind pressures

You have 2 different problems.

I do not know why you would convert a 3 second gust to a 60 minute
wind, but the commentary of the ASCE 7-95 contains the Durst curve and
the Krayer-Marshall curve for a direct conversion.  I have done
conversions to and from 60 second winds (Saffir-Simpson hurricane
winds) and 10 minute winds (WMO standard extreme winds), but never to
a 60 minute wind.

The conversion from 3 second to a fastest mile wind is an iterative
solution, and can also be done using the ASCE 7 commentary, but it is
a bit tricky.  The Structural Engineering Institute's newsletter
contained an example by Jim Rossberg of this iterative procedure.

I would be a bit wary of the API standard.  Rely more on the ASCE 7
for wind load development.

Harold Sprague, PE
Krawinkler, Luth & Assoc.