Re: SEAOSC v. SEAOC

I was present at the Board Meeting as well, as part of the SEAONC
delegation.  What Shafat reports below is basically correct (although
he did not note that I also did not support the Straw Vote and in
fact spoke against it even being taken - though not strongly enough
in the view of the SEAOSC delegates).

I would like to take this opportunity to provide the subscribers of
the list server, my own perspective on the issues.  So here goes-
--------------------------

A number of the SEAOC Directors believe that for the past year, the
Board has essentially been dysfunctional, and unable to come to
consensus on substantive issues.  This is largely a result of the
voting rules, that apply at the Board level, and the fact that the
Directors from SEAOSC have as a block, frequently taken a position
that is contrary to that of a majority of the directors from the
other regional associations. The voting rules are such that when any
delegataion, as a block, takes a contrary position, this blocks
action.  In recent years it is SEAOSC that has been blocking certain
actions, but in past times, other delegations have done this as well.
I have been a board member, off and on for many years now, and I can
tell you it is always frustrating.  When the vote to block actions
follows on a number of issues, from the same delegation, it becomes
extremely frustrating.

SEAOSC's delegates do not vote as a block on every issue.  They only
do this, where the SEAOSC Board has taken a previous position.  In
this case, the SEAOSC delegates vote as a block because they believe
this is what they are requried by their ByLaws to do.  Unfortunately,
this has happened a number of times over the past few years, and with
increasing regulartiy, causing increasing discord on the Board.  It
has occurred on a wide range of issues - from how the Convention
Proceedings should be printed and distributed, to the annual budget,
to the respnsibilities of the executive office.

Because all of the SEAOC Board members take their resonsibiltiy very
seriously and dilligently try to do what they individually believe is
best for the association, this has created extreme frustration as
well as hard feelings on both sides.  It has also lead to extreme
distrust on the part of various Board members.  None of this healthy.

The "Special Committee" was set up to try to find some way to resolve
this issue, so that SEAOC could move forward.  What was not said, in
Shafat's report below is that the Board meeting on Saturday was
extremely productive, that there was reasoned and carefully
considered conversation and a free interchange of ideas throughout
the day.  Given this, it was unfortunate that John Price elected to
use such a heavy handed and extreme strategy, especially given the
cooperative nature of the meeting up until that time.

Please believe me that there is no real intent on anyone's part to
remove SEAOSC from SEAOC, any more than there is an intent to remove
either of the other member associations.  However, there is a clear
need to allow the SEAOC Board to work more effectively and to move
forward, with consensus, as appropriate.

Hopefully, we as an Association can move forward at this point,
consider the real issues, and go about doing our business in a
resonsible manner, representing the interests of Structural Engineers
in all of California.

Ronald O. Hamburger, SE
Regional Manager
EQE International, Inc.