RE: Sloshing in rectangular tanks

Glenn,

Two members of my subcommittee did most of the study regarding tanks for the 1997 NEHRP Provisions.  They were Nick Legatos of Preload Tank and Steve Meier of Indiana Tank (Steve was with Chicago Bridge & Iron for many years).  Nick previously helped develop the methodology contained in AWWA D100.  Nick consulted with George Housner in that effort.

Both Steve and Nick have done work all over the world and are familiar with all the various international codes and company standards regarding accelerated fluids.  What resulted was a method that Nick helped develop for the AWWA D100.

>From their observations the P-355 was generally conservative, but not for every case.  That is what led to the development of D100.  API is in the process of using the same methodology as contained in D100 to develop fluid seismic forces.  ACI 350 is also in the process of changing the methodology to be in agreement with D100.

Harold Sprague, PE
Chairman Technical Subcommittee 13 Nonbuilding Structures
Krawinkler, Luth & Assoc.