Re: To All List members

Hello from an out of state "lurker"

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Dennis Wish wrote:

> Please read:
> I fear that most of you outside California have either filtered out
> California posted issues. These issues are important to the list and I urge
> you to read them, ask questions and voice your opinions.
>
> As was indicated in Bill Warren's post, some of the non-technical members
> (and employee) of the State charter are not enthusiastic about the roll that
> the Internet (or global communications of any kind) are to play in the
> growth of our profession. They believe that it is a passing fad and would
> rather steer SEA members in a different, non-technical direction.

As part of a faculty development program, I am working with a major
engineering company that has engineers in several states working on
projects as one integrated team.

The design calculations, procedures, CAD files, etc, are available to
engineers and designers via web sites.  The company is planing on
expanding their use of the internet, and is making major commitments of
time and resources to further this expansion.

For this company, the internet is a functional, cost effective business
tool, not a "passing fad".

Ed.S.
Edwin R. Schmeckpeper, P.E., Ph.D.
Department of Civil Engineering                   Phone  : (208) 885-6702
University of Idaho                               FAX    : (208) 885-6608
Moscow, Idaho 83844-1022                          E-Mail : eds(--nospam--at)uidaho.edu