RE: To All List members and Wildwoman

Since you asked.  A lot of us outsiders are just happy to be out of range of the artillery.

On the SEAOSC issue:
I find it unfortunate that this division has taken place.  I hope that it is amicably settled soon.  SEAOC has provided much to the structural engineering community with this list and its involvement in code development over the years.

It is time for a consensus builder within the Board of Directors to step forward and arbitrate a solution.  Maybe that will be Ron Hamburger.  I was fortunate to watch his contributions in the Provisions Update Committee in the BSSC.  Ron has very good leadership skills, and is a consensus builder.

SEAOC is too valuable a resource to be destroyed by what appears to be turf wars.  Please don't let it happen.

On the Wildwoman suspension:
Shafat has given much of his own time to administer this list.  Although I revere free speech, and I probably would not have issued a suspension, I will support Shafat's right to issue disciplinary suspensions.  I am not ready to step into his shoes.

Shafat is the referee of the list.  He is trying to keep the list focused on structural engineering issues, and minimize the extraneous.  He has done a commendable job.  He might call me for a foul in the future.  I might argue the call, but not his right to make the call.

Shafat has performed a valuable service by his work on this list and should be commended.

Let Shafat handle it.  It is a judgement call.

I do hope Kate returns to the list, and I hope she still contributes an occasional inoffensive joke.  Please don't ask me to define occasional or inoffensive.

Harold Sprague, PE (focused on the technical)
Krawinkler, Luth & Assoc.
Loveland, CO (Outside of California)