Re: List suspension - in defense of Shafat

My NZ$0.02 worth,  (only about US$0.01 worth!!), as an offshore lurker:
____________________
Ernie Natividad wrote:
> "I am behind Shafat 100%. From what he said, Kate was suspended mainly
> not  because of the jokes but because of her defiance of Shafat's
warning.
>  Whether intentional or not, Shafat's got to do what got to be done. -----
------"

A mitigating circumstance may be that Kate's 13 messages were replies to
criticisms and personal flames.

____________________

Harold Sprague wrote:
> "On the Wildwoman suspension:
> Shafat has given much of his own time to administer this list.  Although I
> revere free speech, and I probably would not have issued a suspension, I >
will support Shafat's right to issue disciplinary suspensions.  I am not >
ready to step into his shoes.

> Shafat is the referee of the list.  He is trying to keep the list focused
> on structural engineering issues, and minimize the extraneous.  He has >
done a commendable job.  He might call me for a foul in the future.  I >
might argue the call, but not his right to make the call.

> Shafat has performed a valuable service by his work on this list and >
should be commended.

> Let Shafat handle it.  It is a judgement call.
>
> I do hope Kate returns to the list, and I hope she still contributes an >
occasional inoffensive joke.  Please don't ask me to define occasional or >
inoffensive."

These posts sum up my feelings.

As I have previously noted this list server is like family.

While onerous to keep up with the play all is of interest and broadly
educational.

Bruce Shephard, Principal Consultant Seismic Risk
Opus International Consultants, New Zealand
DD Telephone +64 4 4717597,  Fax +64 4 4711397
Email bruce.shephard(--nospam--at)opus.co.nz