RE: Bolt Pre-Tensioning

Title: RE: Bolt Pre-Tensioning

this one always baffled me as well.  last time i did this, i recall finding a reference that finally satisfied my "intuition". McGuire maybe? If I remember right, it had to do with where you cut your free-body of the system and it proved that you would never exceed the initial pretension force?  Someone throw in here with me. am i hallucinating a false memory? if so i've got some sleep to lose.