Re: Bolt Pre-Tensioning

>I don't believe calculations support his explanation.  Nor do I find it
>plausible the code is purposefully allowing the designer to double-dip
>on capacity
That isn't what happens. A pretensioned bolt carries clamping loads from
contact pressures generated between the connected parts. When external
load is applied the connection deforms slightly so that the clamping
pressures are relaxed. The load in the fastener doesn't change
appreciably until contact is lost because the clamping pressure drops off
as fast as the applied load increases. This behavior depends on the
connected parts being much stiffer than the bolt, which might not be the
case. There are a million (lots anyway) papers and books quantifying this
explanation.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw