Re: METAL ROOF ON EXIST. METAL ROOF

Most codes (and I'm not sure which one you fall under) require that if you increase the stress
on a structure then the increased stress must not exceed *current* allowables, using *current*
code LL + total DL.

Most codes also allow repairs and restorations without bringing the system up to current design
standards *provided* the repairs or restorations do not increase the current stresses.  In other
words, if you can remove the old roof (or other DL) such that the new system weighs less than
the current system, then you don't need to be concerned about current LL criteria.

However, you should involve your client in this decision.  He/she might have other reasons for
wishing to increase the strength (insurance, etc.).

Lew