Re: Simpson Strongwall Question

<< Subj:	 Simpson Strongwall Question
 Date:	98-07-22 16:07:41 EDT
 From:	wish(--nospam--at)cwia.com (Dennis Wish)
 Reply-to:	seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
 To:	seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org (SEAOC Listservice)

 I received the test data from Simpson. I can not find the working stress
 values? Also, is there a table of sizes and capacities from which to choose?
 Are you assuming a working stress capcity of 25% of the ultimate?

 Please let us know.

 Dennis Wish PE

Dennis,

We have just started looking at the StrongWall in our office as substitution
for the Hardy frame used on a project.  Page 1of 2 of there product flyer
gives allowable shears for the panel assembly.  So by working stress, you have
a certain shear force calculated to a given wall line, you then select a
Strongwall with excess capacity to the calculated demand.  The deflection of
the panel will be within code (.005h) for drift for shear loads less than the
strongwall design value.

Be VERY CAREFULL in evaluating the garage portal frame (wood beam sitting on
top of strongwall each end of beam).  The listed values are for the pair of
Strongwall panels,  not the individual panels at each end.  This is not clear
in the literature unless you backcheck the allowable shear/ft value compared
to the allowable shear load and length of panel.

Example:   Strongwall SW16x7-4 panels (16 inches wide)

Allowable shear for portal frame = 3020 pounds  (1510 pounds for the panel at
each end of the frame)

The published working stress level I believe is 71.4 percent (1/1.4) of the
strength design load based upon testing.  For furthur clarification, I guess
you need to contact Simpson.

By the way, Simpson now has competition for the strongwall, besides the Hardy
Frame, which is the "Lateral-Force Resisting (LFR) Panel" which is being
manufactured by Shear Transfer Systems.  They just got their ICBO number.
This is a reinforced all wood panel also, possibly with a better holdown.

Michael Cochran