RE: Simpson Strongwall Question

Dennis, you should have received a single page (front and back) flier
with the product sizes and allowable loads.  The loads shown in the
literature under the "Allowable Shear V Load (lb)" and "Allowable Shear
V Load (lb/ft)" are calibrated to Allowable Stress or Working Stress
design levels, and are reduced by the 1.4 factor from their Strength
Level.  Additionally, you should know that the load was chosed such that
the deflection at the Strength level, amplified by the 0.7xR factor,
does not exceed the 0.025H limit on inelastic deflections for short
period buildings as per the 1997 UBC.  Also, the rated Portal Frame
Loads are in fact for two panels in conjunction with the header.  I will
make this more clear in the next release of literature.  Thanks for the
input.
Sincerely,
Steve Pryor, S.E.
Simpson Strong-Tie