Subject: Key Location in cant. retain. walls.
Author:  PC:rwhitsel(--nospam--at)iname.com at INTERNET
Date:    7/23/98 6:30 AM

Long time lurker, first time poster, here is my question

In the design of cantilevered retaining walls, say with a 2:1 backfill, where
is the "optimial" location of the key used to resist sliding of the wall,  I
have seen it placed in three places
(1) at or near the Heel.
(2) at or near the Toe.
(3) somewhere inbetween perhaps near the stem to pick up some of the reinf.

I tend to prefer to have the key at the heel to have a lower overturning
moment at the toe, and to give a longer path to resist sliding
    /
 [ ]
 [ ]
 [ ]