Re: vortex shedding

>the wind load acting only onto
>the upper third of a column while checking vortex shedding instability.
>
>Does any one of you know the justification of this assumption?
 My guess is that the 'instability' (I think it's actually flutter) only
imposes dynamic loading on the upper 1/3 because the movement of the
lower portion is too small to shed vortices. Could also be that the
bottom two thirds lies in the boundary layer or lies in the lee of
surrounding structures. All of which is preamble to saying I don't
actually know.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw