RE: SPACE GASS

>i think AISC is gonna get us eventually and
>convert us all to LRFD, but we will go down with claws extended.
I've mentioned this before, but ASD goes a lot farther than building
design. Most of the cranes in this country are designed using basic AISC
ASD rules, as are supporting structures for many things. When you're
designing for serviceability and such things as fatigue, LRFD doesn't cut
it. There are also requirements for certain types of structures to remain
elastic (or nearly so) during earthquakes or other catastrophes because
they need to remain operational. Can't have a nuke plant crane become
non-serviceable and drop a fuel bundle during an earthquake. My guess is
that ASD is going to be around for a long time.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw