RE: SPACE GASS

I prefer LRFD. AISC has stated that it will not update the ASD code,
and the last published version is June 1, 1989, almost ten years ago.
This means that any new research will be incorporated into the LRFD
only. Any existing problems with the ASD will not be corrected.  Most
other materials are now being designed with LRFD or Strength Design
methods.

Many of the difficulties people have using the LRFD results from the
UBC attempts to integrate two radically different design methods into
the static force procedures. The 1994 UBC required that LRFD users
apply the same forces, but eliminated the 1/3 stress increase,
hindering LRFD use. The 1997 UBC has attempted to correct this, but
you will find a large number of little exceptions and "gottcha's".

Most people at my company use the ASD. If I ask them questions about
some areas of design, I get blank looks, since the ASD lacks any
discussion of design for those areas, or provides a simple method
that does not really consider all factors.

Personally, I think the IBC will probably recognize and try to
correct these problems, and begin to move the ASD to an Alternate
Design status with some restrictions on areas which are not current.

> From:          "ITS Pty Ltd" <admin(--nospam--at)spacegass.com>
> To:            <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
> Subject:       RE: SPACE GASS
> Date:          Thu, 23 Jul 1998 14:54:14 +1000

> Definitely.
>
> Can you tell me what type of design code for steel structures is in use in Canada.
>
> We are also looking at whether we will develop a design module to ASD and / or LRFD.  I have been told that the most prominent
> design code is still the Allowable Stress code.  Can I get some sort of a consensus on this from people who read it?
>
> Nick Stanley, B.Eng (Hons), B.Bus
> Structural Engineer - ITS
> admin(--nospam--at)spacegass.com
> www.spacegass.com