RE: SPACE GASS

ASD is still widely used, but consider:

AISC as a policy will no longer support ASD.

All of the future seismic provisions NEHRP, IBC, AISC are written for LRFD.  AISC seismic provisions has what is referred to as an ASD procedure, but it is actually more of a plastic design.

ASD is being phased out.  Us old timers remember how they phased out working stress in concrete design.  You simply were not allowed to design columns in working stress, you had to use "ultimate strength".  It forced the industry to strength design in short order.  A similar thing is in the process of happening in ASD.

Wood is also going to a strength design methodology.

The only hold out is geotechnical work.  They want to stay in service loads.

I am as proud to resist change as the next stubborn old gray beard, but I think that strength design is the way to go.

Regards,
Harold Sprague, PE
Krawinkler, Luth & Assoc.