RE: FEMA Publications

It makes me wonder when things get that detailed if we aren't kidding
ourselves a bit.  Such information for researchers provides good
information to understand the various earthquake phenomena.  For the
practicing structural engineer however, even with Performance Based Design
concepts, it seems like we are trying to determine the forces to a knats
rear end when the actual certainty in the force levels is not that good.  I
think it gives people a false sense of security.  We should be teaching our
young engineering colleagues concepts like redundancy, ductility, tieing
structures together, load paths and the like.  There should also be
required studies in accuracy v. precision.

Bill Cain, S.E.
Oakland, CA