Re: Tsunami Design

Over 10 years ago I worked on an interesting project which included tsunami
design.  It was the Bradley Lake Hydroelectric Project on the Kenai
Peninsula
in Alaska.  A risk analysis was done for tsunami potential in Kachemak Bay
and
we designed 2-ft thick walls on the bay side of the powerhouse for large
estimated breaking wave forces (on the order of 160 kips/foot wall length).
Although seismically induced tsunamis were evaluated, I believe the
controlling wave was based on volcanic eruption (Mt. St. Augustine) with a
soil mass cast into the Cook Inlet.  I don't know all the details on how the
tsunami wave analysis was performed, but between that and a 0.75g ground
acceleration used for seismic design, it made for an interesting project.