RE: Key Location in cant. retain. walls.

Title: RE: Key Location in cant. retain. walls.

Our office tries to avoid keys where possible.  While it looks good on paper and in the calcs, consideration to construction method must be given in order for it to function properly.  I would agree that the best location would be below the wall.  But, what is the method or sequence of construction to ensure that the passive pressure will equal that expected from the calcs?