RE: NEW LIST SERVER

To all subscribers of the SEAint Listservice:

I just wanted to take a moment to elaborate on the announcement of the new
seaocMembers listservice. I discussed this issue with Shafat yesterday
afternoon. The members of the SEAint list have, in numerous posts and
private email, voiced their desire to have a separate list devoted to SEAOC
related topics. This will, we hope reduce the volume of posts to the SEAint
List. However, we wish to emphasize that the seaocMembers list is not
restricted to California members, or SEA members for that matter. Many of
the topics that will be discussed are relevant to the developement and
growth of the SEAOSC server, Website and growing number of Listservices.
We, therefore, invite any and all list participants who are interested in
the development of our Internet SE Infrastructure to subscribe and
participate. We believe that the seaocMembers List will be an important tool
in shaping our future.

As the global engineering community unites, Shafat and I believe that it
will be important for each local chapter to establish a presence in the form
of an Internet tools package. The makeup of this package has not been worked
out, but the hub will be both the Listservice and Website.

It is also the goal and intent of SEAint to provide Websites and tools to
other SEA organizations in an effort to unify the exchange of information -
a Virtual professional community.
In addition, it is important to recognize the work of other organizations
such as ASCE, CELSOC, NSPE, and the many others professional organizations I
have not mentioned. Although attempts have been made to unify the work done
in each organization, a common communication link had been difficult to
achieve by prior conventional means. It is now possible to exchange creative
work among different professional organizations without the duplication of
work and within a friendly virtual enviornment. Therefore, in an effort to
help meld the different organizations into a cohesive Virtual network,
SEAint will be sending out special invitations to join our Virtual
community.

The seaocMembers Listservice will be instrumental in working through the
problems of creating an infrastructure to help unite the Structural
Engineering Community. Therefore, we invite you to join the list and help us
define the structure of these important tools.

To join send an email to admin(--nospam--at)seaint.org and in the body of the message
type

join seaocMembers

We sincerely hope that you find this to be another useful tool and will use
it to it's fullest advantages.

Sincerely,
Dennis S. Wish PE
CAC member