-----Original Message-----
From: Evan.Jorgensen(--nospam--at)fluordaniel.com
[mailto:Evan.Jorgensen(--nospam--at)fluordaniel.com]
Sent: Friday, July 24, 1998 5:08 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: FEMA Publications

     This reminds me of a now famous anonymous quote;
     "Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we don't
     wholly understand, into shapes we can't fully analyze, so as to
     withstand forces we can't really assess, in such a way that the
     community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our
     ignorance."

     Evan Jorgensen, S.E.

     --- Bill Cain wrote:

     It makes me wonder when things get that detailed if we aren't kidding
     ourselves a bit.  Such information for researchers provides good
     information to understand the various earthquake phenomena.  For the
     practicing structural engineer however, even with Performance Based
     Design
     concepts, it seems like we are trying to determine the forces to a
     knats

     rear end when the actual certainty in the force levels is not that
     good.  I
     think it gives people a false sense of security.  We should be
     teaching our
     young engineering colleagues concepts like redundancy, ductility,
     tieing
     structures together, load paths and the like.  There should also be
     required studies in accuracy v. precision.

     Bill Cain, S.E.
     Oakland, CA