Re: Seismic Zone 4 vs Richter Magnitude Number

Zone 4 of the UBC generally corresponds to sites within 25 miles of
major active faults.  Major here means any fault capable of
generating M6.5+ events.  Active - means with recurrence intervals of
a few hundred, as opposed to 1000 years.

> From:          <Karen12959(--nospam--at)aol.com>
> Date:          Fri, 24 Jul 1998 19:43:35 EDT
> To:            seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
> Subject:       Seismic Zone 4 vs Richter Magnitude Number

> If I am not mistaken, neither Blue Book nor Uniform Building Code (among
> others) do not give a "translation" of  vertical / horizontal design load
> requirements for (say) Seismic Zone 4 into "Richter-scale-magnitude number".
> I know that this information is not needed to perform required structural
> calculations  ... but it would be nice to know where I am at.
>
> Your help would be appreciated ..

Ronald O. Hamburger, SE
Regional Manager
EQE International, Inc.