Re: vortex shedding

1.  ASME STS-1-1992 (May be a later revision now) -- Steel Stacks.  You can
get from ASME
1-800-843-2763.  You will probably have to call ASME after you get started,
because there are some  points which are not clear.

2.  I just got a reference which has a chapter on self supporting stacks.
"Tubular Steel Structures, Theory and Design" by M.S. Troitsky, D.Sc.,
Published by Lincoln Arc Welding Foundation -- I ordered mine from Brown
Book Shop in Houston, 1-800-423-1825.  There's lots of material in this (50
pages, plus 2 1/2 pages of references), and it looks pretty good.

3.  I also have a copy from somewhere (I don't remember) entitled, "Section
26, Chimneys", by Max Zar and Shih-Lung Chu of Sargent & Lundy.

About spoilers -- They increase wind forces/moments, because they add a
large area near the top.  And stack constructors hate them (especially if
they have to be stainless steel), because they are very costly, both in
material and fabrication.  A possible alternate is to use a shroud to
control the natural frequency of the stack to stay out of the resonant
range.

There are also mechanical damping systems available (One supplier, Warren
Engineering, Inc., Atlanta, Ga., 404-843-8333, FAX 404-843-0089).  They're
pretty pricey, but sometimes there's no other way, especially on an
existing stack.

Vortex shedding forces are not impossibly large, but it's easy to get into
a resonant condition with much lower wind velocities than you would
normally use for design.

BTW, I'm not a stack designer.  I get just enough stack work to keep me
challenged.  And I apologize for being long-winded.

Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561