More on vortex shedding

BE CAREFUL WITH REFERENCE 2, BELOW!!!

Watch out for the units in some of the equations.  I calculated natural
frequency of a uniform stack, using Refs 1, 3, and RISA 2D, as well as
reference 2.  Ref 2 calls for E to be in psf, and Weight to be in pounds
per vertical foot of the stack.  Correlation is fairly good if you use E in
psi, and weight in pounds per vertical inch of the stack.  Otherwise the
fundamental natural frequency differs by a factor of 35.

Likewise for the natural frequency for ovalling.  Ref 2 calls for thickness
of shell in ft; I believe inches should be used instead.

 If I'm wrong, will someone let me know?

Thanx,
Fountain

----------
> From: Fountain Conner <fconner(--nospam--at)gulf.net>
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org; rajendra(--nospam--at)edumaster.net
> Subject: Re: vortex shedding
> Date: Saturday, July 25, 1998 2:27 PM
>
> 1.  ASME STS-1-1992 (May be a later revision now) -- Steel Stacks.  You
can
> get from ASME
> 1-800-843-2763.  You will probably have to call ASME after you get
started,
> because there are some  points which are not clear.
>
> 2.  I just got a reference which has a chapter on self supporting stacks.

> "Tubular Steel Structures, Theory and Design" by M.S. Troitsky, D.Sc.,
> Published by Lincoln Arc Welding Foundation -- I ordered mine from Brown
> Book Shop in Houston, 1-800-423-1825.  There's lots of material in this
(50
> pages, plus 2 1/2 pages of references), and it looks pretty good.
>
> 3.  I also have a copy from somewhere (I don't remember) entitled,
"Section
> 26, Chimneys", by Max Zar and Shih-Lung Chu of Sargent & Lundy.
>
> About spoilers -- They increase wind forces/moments, because they add a
> large area near the top.  And stack constructors hate them (especially if
> they have to be stainless steel), because they are very costly, both in
> material and fabrication.  A possible alternate is to use a shroud to
> control the natural frequency of the stack to stay out of the resonant
> range.
>
> There are also mechanical damping systems available (One supplier, Warren
> Engineering, Inc., Atlanta, Ga., 404-843-8333, FAX 404-843-0089).
They're