point load vs. effective width

When something is not spelled out in codes, I look for something in the code
that will provide guidance.  In this situation, 2106.3.8 (1997 UBC) gives
some guidance in that it specifies that the effective width of a flexural
compression area is not to exceed 6 times the nominal wall thickness for
masonry in running bond, nor the center to center distance of reinforcement.
(I am assuming that your wall is masonry.)

I would then apply some intuitive judgement, such as assuming that the stress
is distributed at a 30 degree angle each side of the applied concentrated
load and use whichever is less.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

. > I have a project that needs to design a free-standing wall subjected to a
. > point load perpendicular
. > to the wall (out-of-plane point load). The point load is located at 2'-0"
. > above the bottom of the
. > wall. The question is that what width of the wall (at wall length
. > direction, not thickness
. > direction; the width is located at bottom of the wall) should be used to
. > resist the point load ?
. > Should be spread at a ratio of height:width=1:2 at each side of the point
. > load (that means
. > width=8') or even height:width=1:3 (width=(2)(2)(3')=12') ? Or any other
. > width should be used ?
. > Does any one know any reference or test results regarding this issue ?
. >
. > Thanks in advance.
. >
. >