Re: point load vs. effective width

> I have a project that needs to design a free-standing wall subjected to a point load perpendicular
> to the wall (out-of-plane point load). The point load is located at 2'-0" above the bottom of the
> wall. The question is that what width of the wall (at wall length direction, not thickness
> direction; the width is located at bottom of the wall) should be used to resist the point load ?
> Should be spread at a ratio of height:width=1:2 at each side of the point load (that means
> width=8') or even height:width=1:3 (width=(2)(2)(3')=12') ? Or any other width should be used ?
> Does any one know any reference or test results regarding this issue ?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Quick Wu
> CSD

True that there is little reference on the subject. If you're talking
about reinforced concrete, Ferguson's "RC Fundamentals" has some (very
limited) info on the subject. For concentrated loads from vehicles, he
uses E=0.68S +2c where E=effective width, S=span, c=diameter of loaded
area.
The reference for this equation is: C.T. Morris, "Concentrated Loads on
Slabs," Ohio State Univ. Eng. Exp. Sta. Bull. N° 80, 1933. (quite old!!)

Moni Serhal