Re: LRFD vs ASD

>LRFD is the best way to address the uncertainy of Loads and the Resistance of
>materials to the load by adjusting the Factor for the load based upon the
>accuracy of determination of the load. The Design is further adjusted for the
>uncertainy of the material's strength by introducing a strength reduction
>factor.

And the reason we can't adjust load values in ASD is...? It's not like
the applied loads are a lot better than an educated guess, anyway (based
on judgement that works fine up until the event when they don't work so
fine any more.). I confess, as a poor be-nighted ME, I am puzzled by the
distinction between an allowable stress margin, a 'strength reduction
factor,'  and 'the Factor for the load.'

It seems like a distinction without a difference. I'm really not trying
to be obtuse, but I have yet to hear an answer that makes sense to the
question of why LRFD or ASD is better. The fact that you can diddle the
design margin doesn't make the methodology necessarily more
sound--conservative people will still pick conservative factors, and
imprudent designers are gonna remain imprudent--what's changed? Then
there's the question of determining where repetitive service loads might
govern beyond than a single ultimate load.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw