Re: LRFD vs ASD

>For foundation design, if you recall, Terghazi's equation is at the
strength
level.  We have been taught to design the soil bearing using ASD with
"allowable" bearing values commonly given in soils reports.  All we need to
do
is ask the GE for the bearing strength of the soil. <

And what phi factors would you use for soil?  Soil "allowables" are
typically
based on much higher factors of safety than steel or concrete.  Thus
applying
standard load factors and using soil ultimate strengths would be rather
unconservative without the appropriate phi factors.

Also, foundation design is very dependent upon serviceability/ settlement
concerns.  Would you design your foundation for "ultimate" settlement also?