Re: LRFD vs ASD

At 04:29 PM 7/27/1998 EDT, you wrote:
>LRFD is the best way to address the uncertainy of Loads and the Resistance of
>materials to the load by adjusting the Factor for the load based upon the
>accuracy of determination of the load.  The Design is further adjusted for
the

Dear All,

One thing that has been overlooked the discussion of steel design LRFD vs
ASD is that
the 1995 California Building Code (1994 UBC with 1995 State Amendments also
known as Title 24 Part 2) is that Section 2203A.1 specifically forbids the
the use of LRFD design for public schools, hospitals and state-owned or
state-leased essential services facilities

	2301A.1	The design, fabrication and erection of structural steel shall be
in accordance with the requirements of Division IX (ASD).  Division VIII
(LRFD) is not adopted for public shools, hospitals and state-owned or
state-leased essential services building design.

Another point is that the State has not adopted the 1997 UBC as the basis
of the California Building Code.  I believe they are holding off until the
2000 UBC/IBC

Patrick