Re: point load vs. effective width

I usually use a 1:1 ratio for concentrated load distribution, i.e. 2-ft each
side of load for a 4-ft total effective width.  But I haven't seen any
formal
description of this in texts.

Bill S.

Quick Wu wrote:

>I have a project that needs to design a free-standing wall subjected to a
point load perpendicular to the wall (out-of-plane point load). The point
load
is located at 2'-0" above the bottom of the wall. The question is that what
width of the wall (at wall length direction, not thickness direction; the
width is located at bottom of the wall) should be used to resist the point
load ? Should be spread at a ratio of height:width=1:2 at each side of the
point load (that means width=8') or even height:width=1:3
(width=(2)(2)(3')=12') ? Or any other width should be used ? Does any one
know
any reference or test results regarding this issue ? <