Re: Fw: LRFD, ASD, and USD

     Roger,

        I have been practicing the same system.

     Jerome
Subject: Fw: LRFD, ASD, and USD
Author:  MIME7:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com at INTERNET
Date:    7/28/98 6:04 PM

I have a problem understanding the crack control requirements of the ACI
code.  I understand the stated theory about the crack control requirements,
but don't understand why additional cover will require more reinforcing.  If
the width of the crack at the surface is the limiting factor, then increased
cover should have less effect on the exposure of the reinforcing to corrosive
environments.  After all, we are still dealing with "plane sections remain
plane" and "Hooke's Law applies," aren't we?

Since the crack control requirements do not apply if Grade 40 steel is used,
that is the maximum amount of reinforcing that I will use in a footing,
regardless of whether or not Grade 60 reinforcing is used.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona