Heating mat in concrete slab

I am working on a project where the mechanical engineer wants to use an electrical heating mat (wires) to warm the space.  The construction would be a 5" slab on grade, the heating mat, and a 3" topping slab poured over the mat.  Both slabs would have WWF reinforcing.

Has anyone had experience with this type of system before?  I am wondering what the heating and cooling will do to the concrete in both the topping slab and the slab on grade.

Jerry King, PE